Big Ten, well 11 because I forgot about the money!
1. Bug Spray!!!! There are mosquitos everywhere and they are vicious
2. Download Maps.me (and then download the offline map of Havana, Cuba before you go)
3. Download Google translate, and then you can download an offline version of Spanish – (I didn't use this because we had Ozzy – see below, but I have heard that people live and die by this)
4. Be prepared to stay in subpar accommodations (unless you are in Varadero)
5. Bring medicine (ibuprofen, Benadryl crème – sooths mosquito bites, Imodium- stomach medicine, etc)
6. Plan out as much of your trip before hand (stick to the agenda and have reservations and things set up before you arrive – its tough to set things up on the go without wifi)
7. You will be without wifi for most of the trip (80-90% of the time). Let your family & Friends know that you will check in when you can. (I kind of enjoyed being offline for a few days)
8. Cuba is generally safe – but just be careful – I have heard stories of Pickpockets, but if you are from the North East that's no different then NYC – so umm yea!
9. Learn some Spanish before you go – try to get a basic understanding of something? Learn the word tengo (have) or tienes (tu tienes wifi aqui?) tu tienes comida aqui? All basic and childish Spanish but the point is have a basic understanding of the language so you can move and shake throughout the country. (be aware – Cubans speak very fast!)
10. Interact with the people – they are not tourist attractions that sit behind a glass wall, for people to take pictures of! Speak to them, say whats up, ask them what they do for a living! Maybe ask suggestions on a good local restaurant, etc. Every time I spoke with someone I was met with a warm response!
11. If your travel is coming up soon as, change your spending money to Euros before getting to Cuba and then to Cuban Pesos when you arrive! (Cuban Pesos = CUC)
Comments
Post a Comment